Translate

Monday, January 12, 2015

Why Is It Important To Study Culture?



Culture is more than common rituals, traditions and holidays. It's an elaborate network of philosophies, values, morals--it's the lense through which we see and interact in the world. How many wars and genocides could have been avoided if only individuals and nations could have removed their glasses and tried on a different pair of lenses?  Understanding other people(s) viewpoint is an important life skill.  How much smoother is life when we are better able to understand our spouses, family, neighbors, and roommates to avoid conflict?  We may not agree with their action but we are more aware of why they respond and act the way they do. To study culture is to learn how to remove our lenses and to try on someone else’s--just on a global level.
Add caption


"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view . . . until you climb into his skin and walk around in it." (To Kill a Mockingbird).



Every culture is so beautiful and diverse in their own unique way.   My goal from this blog is to document my thoughts on other cultures and how their ways and understanding of life can benefit my life.  My children’s life. And maybe even yours.  I love America and American culture but there are many “false tradition” and ideologies that have shaped so many negative beliefs about my life, my self worth and my potential as an individual.  I hope you enjoy this ride as I discover and share the gems of other cultures around the world and implement them in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment